Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The tortoise goes shopping for a wedding dress...

As most of you know, I recently got engaged...woo hoo! My fiance, Larry, and I will be getting married next summer. And as any girl knows, the dress is the most important part of any wedding (besides the groom of course). So that's what I started working on first.

Shopping for wedding dresses can be a fun, overwhelming, exhausting, and frightening task. I began by searching online. I created a google doc and saved links to my favorite dresses. I then began to whittle that list down to my favorite favorites and grouped them so I could have the least amount of appointments with the highest number of my favorite dresses. (I assume you all already know I'm an uber-nerd)

So last Saturday morning was my first appointment. I made sure to bring Leah because I know what a challenging task wedding dress shopping can be. I walked into the dress store armed with my most positive of attitudes, and I did alright for a while. I fully expected the dresses to be small and difficult for me to fit into. I know samples only come in one size that I'm not the one size they usually come in. I was prepared for all of that. Even so, when I saw the sizes of the dresses that I couldn't fit into I nearly had a heart attack. The sizes weren't anywhere near my pant size. Had my pants stretched to fit me? Oh no! They had! I was bigger than I already thought! Ahhhhhh!

Heartbroken and disappointed, I struggled on. Dress after dress after dress. I could hardly tell what some of them looked like because they wouldn't fit over my boobs, or my hips, or whatever else it is I have. I went to this particular store to try on one dress. A dress I was in love with. The waist in that thing must have been the size of my thigh! So I asked the girl who was helping me, just what size chart are they using here? She informed me that when she bought her dress from the same designer it was 2 sizes larger than her normal size. Whew! What a relief! Not that I like that size either, but that's WAY better than the sizes I was trying on.

I made it through many many dresses and found the dress of my dreams. It wasn't anything like the one I went in to try on, but it made my eyes sparkle. And I ordered it in a horrendous size that I do not wish to share with anyone, but it will look nice I'm sure.

So the morals of the story are...
1. Take a positive person (and maybe a tissue) wedding dress shopping with you
2. Don't be afraid of big numbers if they look good
3. Keep trying even if it's not what you thought you were trying for

2 comments:

  1. Great, now I gotta wait a year to see how beautiful you look in it. :), it will be well worth it I know. Counting down the seconds to July 24th, 2010! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany's was a few sizes larger too Stac...I remember her being upset and them telling her they ran that way.

    ReplyDelete