Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Becoming a Tortoise...

One week ago from today I was in the midst of 'Weight Crisis 2009'. I was fully entrenched in hard-core dieting and aerobic workouts. I was definitely bordering on obsessive and slightly unhealthy. Yes, I have some weight to lose. But I want to do it the right way and I don't want to hate my life while I'm doing it. So I've adopted the Tortoise mentality.

The Tortoise mentality isn't easy for me. It doesn't come naturally. If there's something to be done I want to get it done, off my plate, and move on to the next thing. But I know that won't work with healthy weight loss or with maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It's a lifelong process. And to be quite honest, I'm sick of lifelong processes. I'd really just like to finish something! But the older I get the more I realize that nothing is ever finished and I have to somehow be okay with that. I don't like it one bit! But I'm working on it...and working on it...and working on it...

Today is 1 week into 'Weight Crisis 2009'. And thanks to the support of my friends I'm no longer feeling as if it is a crisis, which is good. I also feel like I can, in fact, accomplish my goals and not hate my life in the process. I've lost 5.5 lbs in this first week and I haven't been starving or work-out crazy, which goes to show just how much junk I was actually eating. So far, so good. We'll see how week 2 goes...

5 comments:

  1. I don't get it. Are tortoises concerned with losing weight? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty good at math, but man 5.5 is a big number! Good job baby, way to keep up the good work :). Gotta enjoy life. Tortoise's are people too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Staci! I've been doing the slimfast deal with Darrel for a couple weeks..and we work out everyday at lunch. Maybe we could do like a challenge?? (like we did the biggest loser thing here)

    ReplyDelete