Saturday, April 18, 2009

Record Review! Chris Cornell's Scream

Now for something a little less serious! My fabulous boyfriend suggested that I occasionally include a post that isn't so 'deep' or 'thorough'. So from time to time I will be critiquing new records. I haven't quite perfected my system yet, so for now we'll just use 5 stars, but be looking for something more appropriate in the future. Today I will be reviewing Chris Cornell's 'Scream'.

Artist: Chris Cornell (most widely known as the lead singer of Soundgarden & Audioslave)
Record: Scream
iTunes price: $9.99
Songs: 15

First, this records is a great value. You get 15 tracks for the price of $9.99! The average record has 10 tracks, so you're already getting 1 1/2 times what you would normally get. Woo hoo!

Besides the great value, this is just a FABULOUS record!

I have always been in awe of Chris Cornell's voice. He has amazing control and an amazing vocal tone. His voice is incredibly smooth, even after so many years of recording and performing on the road.

Beyond the display of Chris's rare talent, you will find some of the most creative songs I've heard in years. Fabulous melodies, intertwined with creative production...overall it's basically an orgasm for your ears. Most of you know me, and know that I have spent a good deal of time involved in music production. And the production on this record is incredible! There are intriguing sounds, complementing counter-melodies, along with strong primary melodies. Put this all together and you have an amazing record.

The production team was also rather creative in their methods for putting this record together. One song virtually melts into another. It's beautiful really.

I had to listen to this record a couple of times before I fell madly in love with it. For me that's actually pretty quick. Since that time (about 3 weeks ago) I haven't taken the record out of my car CD player. I LOVE IT!

I know I don't have the same music taste as everyone out there, so just because I like it doesn't necessarily mean it's for you. It's definitely not a hard rock record. It's more of what I would call a 'groovin' record. Amazing to listen to, but if you were at a concert there would be no head banging...more like head nodding. This record would also be great for just chillin with your friends, having a good drink, good conversation, and GREAT background music.

Staci's Approval Rating: 4 1/2 stars

1 comment:

  1. does record = album? or do you actually listen to new school music in an old school way?

    If neither...then I want a blog explaining why you say record instead of album. I'm open minded. :)

    ReplyDelete